Friday, April 8, 2011

Fire Ants

Well, I experienced my first fire ant today. I am building a plant bed over by my fish tank, but there were yucca plants growing in it. I transferred the yuccas into our landscape beds in front of our education building. About the fourth plant I put in, I uncovered thousands of ants. The were climbing up my legs, my arms, and in my gloves. I got bit about four or five times. People were right... it does hurt. I also have poison ivy right now. That's no fun.

I have a project I'm going to do or at least try to pull off.  I want to build this awesome chicken tractor for the farm. For those of you who don't know, a chicken tractor is a mobile coop.
 
It would cost $200 to build it new and maybe $100 if I used some stuff from the farm. Sucks I can't just build it. I want to design it so it can fit over our plant beds but also be wheeled anywhere on the farm. We are going to try and find parts from the farm to put something together but we don't want to just throw something together and hope for the best. Kind of frustrating sometimes. Guess that's the life of small scale farming. 

1 comment: