Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Fishes

 My fish tank as of today. The plant bed slides to the right. I can roll it off to look in the tank.
 In the bottom of the picture is my other plant bed. I prepared this one today. There is composted soil on the bottom, wood shavings with rabbit, chicken, and duck manure on top of that, feed bags cut in half and laid flat over that, and finally some good compost wonderfulness on top of that. So when I plant I will cut a small x in the bag and plant right into it. This takes care of weeds and keeps the soil moisture up. Twice a month I have to do a ten percent water change in the tank. I plan to drain that off into 55 gallon barrels and use that water to water my plants in this bed. This way the water we change out doesn't go to waste, but it will be recycled! I love it!
On a sad/happy note. This is the steer I loaded up and took to slaughter on Friday, but we will have some tasty beef now on the farm! I hate dealing with the steers more than anything on the farm but they can be pretty cute sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment