Wednesday, April 6, 2011

You Pig!

We got the pigs today! 5 handsome boys. Black and white and one brown and white. They are so cute! Brings back lots of memories from the pig farm we had when I was a kid. Of course I just remember loving on newborn piglets and hating the smell. I'm excited to see how it goes for Nathan and his family to raise the pigs. I hope it is fruitful and can benefit the farm and be educational to all involved.
 I love that in the picture you can see the one pig's face buried in a pile of pig. It's great. A friend from home visited today. It was great to share my love and passion for agriculture with her. I didn't realize it til today how thankful I actually was for the farm and the people here. I've finally found my niche in life, a place where I feel the most comfortable...farming wise. I've had some spiritual struggles here but I can be thankful for all that because I'm learning so much. I've always felt a little out of place, because let's be honest, how many young ladies in their early 20's who are devotional passionate about small scale farming that live in Watseka, IL do you know? I'm guessing probably zero. Now I'm surrounded by a group of ladies who are strongly passionate and interested and excited about farming and I LOVE IT! I can go up to one and tell of an awesome farm thing that happened and they get it and share in my joy with me. If I did that at home, I'd get a reaction, but just not the same. I'm so happy here with my job. I do work I love every day. I get to grow things and raise animals and I thank God every minute that I'm not in an office, but that I have the sun in my face and the consist reminder that I don't control anything. I also learned today I am a completely different person then when I left 3 months ago to move to Texas, drastically different. I got her to milk a goat... sorry no pictures. It was great. She bought some fresh eggs and some mild goat sausage (my favorite) to take back to the hubby. I hope the really enjoy it. It is so rewarded to stand with a friend and look out and say, I love this, let me tell you about it and for them to listen and engage. Couldn't have asked for a better gift.

On another note, the newborn twin girls are doing so well now! They have healthy appetites and are running and playing with the other kids. It's exciting to see them doing so well and I'm encouraged that I did something right!
Tomorrow I'll be herding our brown steer into the dairy barn so we can load him up Friday morning to take to slaughter. It is going to be a very stressful time. Steers are so unpredictable and frustrating and SCARY! Pray it goes well and everyone remains safe! If you don't hear from me again, the steers got me.

No comments:

Post a Comment