Sunday, September 9, 2012

Illinois

So for the past few months I have been living south of Champaign, IL working for Illinois Seed Foundation. I'm just a simple ag laborer but it has been a total blast. The friends I have made and the conversations that have ensued have been awesome. Even now I am visiting one of those friends for the weekend way over in Macomb, IL. Let's start from the beginning, shall we?

After returning from Texas, I was feeling incredibly lost and confused. I knew the Lord was directing me back here but wasn't sure what to do next! I finally called a friend and asked if her husband could possibly give me a temporary job and sure enough it was no problem. It felt good to be working outside and being active even if it was so hot and humid. There was an over flow of high schoolers which to anyone can be exhausting in itself. Once the high school kids filtered out, I was left with a pretty cool group of 20 somethings. One day I found myself in the middle of the corn field with two of the girls talking about how Jesus fulfilled the law and how grace works. It was pretty incredible. My bosses, who happen to be twin girls, are Christians and we cover a large range of topics during work. Just the other day we were discussing the Holy Spirit and the gifts. They are both have such a quiet nature and when they talk about their faith it is awesome to see the genuine love they have.

Now life isn't without its ups and downs. Fighting this fight of faith recently has been dirty, sweaty, bloody and exhausting. Sometimes things come easy and sometimes I cry and get so frustrated. The Lord has been showing me a lot of things about myself and it makes me angry. Don't act like you can't relate! There's certain things he is asking me to step out of and I've dug my heels in. Oh the epic battle that takes place within me sometimes is more then I can handle. No one talks about these parts of walking with Jesus. Christians want unbelievers to think we poop rainbows and sing happy, happy, joy, joy all the time. We are real sinners with real sins, real hurts, real emotions, and we make real bad decisions. All I can do sometimes is curl into a ball and just cry out the name of Jesus. The greatest thing I can do in these times is talk about Jesus with people. It seems like when the weight of the world is so heavy and I encourage someone or share Christ, all of those other things disappear. I love being here with my friend this weekend because she challenges me with so many questions and answering them just puts a little more fire under my faith. The scripture that has been so on my heart these past couple months is Titus 2:11-14. "For the grace of god that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say 'No' to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good." 

I bet some of you are wondering what I've been thinking as far as missions. Well I will tell you, but of course not everything! Some of these things must remain tucked away in my heart til due time. Oh Uganda. How I long to see that place again! I miss the sights and smells and beautiful faces. I miss walking down to the village every Wednesday to share a story from the Bible. I miss using an interpreter, as silly as that sounds. I miss the drums. I miss the passion in worship. I pray every day for the Lord to send me back there again. Liberia had come up on my radar with an invitation from some distant relatives to travel there and teach some agriculture seminars. I wanted to go so badly but just wasn't receiving a complete peace about it. So I had to turn it down, but I'm glad to have embarked on a relationship with these people and it is not over with them of course. Just not at this moment. There is a country that has been holding my attention recently and it has come completely out of left field and is not in Africa, which makes me really know it has to be from the Lord. But of course I'm not going to share the name of that one yet.... yet...

I know it's a brief catch up but I think that covers everything.  Last thing, just some photos from life in the last couple months.Until next time.

A storm front moving in while out in the sweet corn field harvesting seed.

One of the scariest experiences of my life. My sister Taylor driving my car. I only screamed once...

Taylor and I visiting my friend Olivia and her first little peanut Ruth.

Homemade cheez-its. Enough said.

Taylor and I fishing at our local pond. This is all we ever catch but it is fun!

Dad and I working on gutting the bathroom in my parent's house.

Hanging with my favorite dog at my parent's house.


One of my favorite pics. My brother Noah holding his first veggie from his own garden! So proud! I think his face says it all. Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment