Sunday, June 17, 2012

Past 3 Weeks in Texas

 Well, I've been in Texas for a little over 3 weeks now. It's been a blast visiting people and catching up and sharing about Uganda... although attention spans wear out qucikly. Haha. If you have been to another country and came back and talk about you trip, you know what I mean.

I first stopped in Lincoln, IL for the night to visit my good friends Mike and Andrea. Andrea is definitely one of my closest friends. Totally enjoy hanging out with her and she is my hippie partner in crime. Love her dumpster diving, recycling, gardening ways. Then I took off for a 13 hour drive to Dallas, TX. I stopped to visit the Fair family. Nathan Fair was a live in volunteer while I was the livestock intern at WHRI. Nathan and his wife Amey have 4 awesome kids, the littlest one being Phoebe. In December just after the left the farm they discoverd that Phebs had a mass in her brain and it in fact was cancer. This family has been through so much and I haven't seen them since they moved off the farm.So I had to take advantage of going through Dallas. It was perfect timing too because Phebs just got released from the hospital earlier that day so I was able to hang out with her in her home. She is so stinkin' precious. If anyone wants to hear about more of their incredible journey you can check out Amey's blog, a typical miracle!
Phoebe playing stickers with her grandma.

















The next day I finished my drive with my next stop to Waco, TX. I spent a lot of my time at the Fry household. My favorite family in Waco. I'm so glad I went to the new members class last year and met Cindy. I was greeted with a latte every morning and good conversation and laughter every evening. And of course lots of snuggle time with their dog Sammy. She thinks she is a lap dog as proven by the picture on the left.

Annali at the Pipsy party. Pipsy is pirate gypsy.
Amber and I at her going away party from the farm.

Our tats.
Was not happy to see this farm tradition still going on. When you find the chucky doll, you hide it again. I opened the bathroom door and my heart stopped. I hate this stupid doll.

Absolute, hands down favorite food of mine.

Yes, these are my friends. I have no explanations.

Yep... this happened.

So after my jaunt in Waco, I headed over to my family in Balmorhea, TX. When I got there, I panicked. I found out the job with a local farmer wasn't going to work out and the house I was going to have, was actually not up to code. It was a beautiful location though. Plus, who doesn't love a place with only 10% humidity.
I introduced my sibs to geocaching. Taylor is now obsessed with it. I'm pretty sure I created a monster.

Geocaching.

Jenna is smiling but if you ask her she hates geocaching. Doesn't see the point.

This awesome little chapel outside of Balmorhea.


So now, after a chain of bad events, I'm back in Waco. Living at the World Hunger Relief farm once again and I'm not that happy about it. I rolled into town with a few dollars to my name after using what I had saved to start a new, by going to Balmorhea. I asked Matt at the farm if I could be a live-in volunteer while I get back on my feet and it worked out. Not sure what tomorrow will bring or the next day. But for now I'm stuck here. I wish I knew the reason why, but I guess in time the Lord will show me... I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment