Monday, January 17, 2011

Little Philbert Kisses and MLK day


Philbert is my favorite of the triplets for sure. I was holding him today and he kept nibbling at my face. It was so cute. Today was MLK day at the farm. Martin Luther King day of service. All of us that live and work on the farm are divided up and travel to different churches in the Waco area who have urban gardens. We help them with whatever they need like planting and some garden education. Unfortunately it was to wet from the past two days of raining to plant. Jess, the current livestock intern and I went to Calvary church in Waco. We didn't get to get our hands dirty but listened to a talk about how their garden got started and what their goals are for it. The thing I really love about these churches with urban gardens is they are not just giving an easy way out of hunger for the poor. Like just giving them a sack of food which is usually not all that good for you, but they are gardening and educating others about starting their own gardens and how you can do it really cheap! They are debunking myths about buying lots of fertilizers or spending money on things for the garden. They teach composting and how to use the products from the garden and not just the fruit but the whole plant. I actually learned today from Jess that dandelions have all kinds of good uses. You can use the leaves in salads or in tea and you can do all kinds of things with the roots and they are really good for your liver. Who knew? So anyway, Jess gave a lesson on why we can't plant right now and how the soil reacts from us messing around in it when it's wet.

When we got back from that I went up to see the babies and milk out the mother. I need to see if her milk is able to sell and have a test sent in to check for any infections and such. I placed her milk in a jug in the fridge and I'll wait 3 days to see if any blood settles to the bottom which can be a sign of mastitis. Mastitis is an inflammation of the mammary gland that can be dangerous and sometimes deadly. So if both tests clear then I'll be putting her back in the milk rotation to sell her milk and start bottle feeding the little babes. I am expecting another mother to be kidding any day now. The funny part about this is, her name is Triple because she has 3 teats! Haha. So we call her Triple Teat or just Triple.

Later this week I will be castrating little Philbert and dis-budding all 3 of them. That will be a hard job listening to them cry. I'm sure it will break my heart!

The scripture on the forefront of my mind today is in Ephesians. "Be very careful, then, how you live-not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." 5:15-21

I think what I'm really getting from this is not to be filled with worldly things or to fill yourself with worldly things. It would be very easy for me to be here and fill myself with doing good deeds. But what Christ wants for me is to be filled with the Spirit and preach Christ and be lead by the Holy Spirit. There are no good works I can bring to the Lord. I can only stand before God at the end and point to the cross and say I believe. Jesus even said in John and I have probably mentioned it before but, out of his own mouth said that the works of God are just to believe in the one sent. Simple. It's Jesus always, all the time. That's where our faith should always be. Not in a program or 12 steps but what Jesus did at the cross for us. If we seek another method then Christ died in vain. I pray that my time here would be lead by the spirit to what he wants, whether to serve, preach, be quiet, or milk some goats. Haha. I pray all of you would rest in Jesus and know that He lived the perfect life for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment