Monday, May 7, 2012

Preparation for Home... Not Home... America

Tonight as I write this, I'm feeling an extreme sadness. It comes over me in waves. It hit me tonight as I was being driven back to the Peterson's house by Andy after spending time making milkshakes with Keeky and hanging out. It was night and there is something different about Jinja when it's dark. It's not scary to me, but more peaceful. I don't know. There's just something in the air that feels refreshing. I love driving through main street at night. As we were driving with all the sounds, sights and smells, it just hit me that soon I will be in this alternate universe. I can't even think about being in Chicago on Friday and then in church on Sunday in Watseka, IL.... AMERICA. What is that place? It seems so foreign to me now and like that life I had there doesn't really exist and the life I have here is the real thing. What did I even do before this? What kind of person was I? How should I interact with people? What do I do with myself? I don't feel prepared to dive back into American culture. I know I will be frustrated a lot. I know I will also be happy to see family and be missing those I left here in Uganda. I feel like I'm divided into two people now. Part of me is here and some of you will never see it and part of me is there and people here will never see it. If any of you are hesitant to travel... to go preach the gospel some where... don't be. Just go. You will regret it if you don't and you won't have any awesome stories to tell. Don't waste this life being comfortable. It's time to get a little uncomfortable.

1 comment:

  1. Love you Beck! I am so proud of you, and can't wait to see you when you get back... (cultural anger and all) :) Thanks for the reminder that we shouldn't be too comfortable in our situations!

    ReplyDelete