Thursday, February 9, 2012

My time in Illinois

I would love to say that my entire time at home has been completely cheery and wonderful, but it hasn't. With the stresses of getting ready to leave the country, extended family dissension, my family moving to Texas, the nail-biting time crunch for a new debit card, and trying to live out a life of sustainability and being a good steward of this earth has been really hard.



Driving home I  was a bubble of mixed emotions ready to pop. I held it in til I got home and sat in the driveway of my car sobbing. I was so torn between the sadness of leaving my new family and joy of seeing my family. I arrived to snow. Quite a shock to my system after leaving a beautiful 75 degree Texas.


Of course, it's not a visit home without some good ol' Monical's pizza. It's my favorite pizza in the whole world. Delicious. Mom and dad ordered this beauty at 9:30 at night while everyone was packing. Very spontaneous moment. That's how we roll. 






This is our family dog Faith. She has been in our family for a very long time. She is not really a dog though... more of a human and when I say human I mean a queen. She runs the house. She also has crippled us all. We are not sure how to clean up after ourselves in the area of dropping a crumb on the floor. We call her our vacuum cleaner.







While I was going through some old stuff I found this. It was my future business card some of the girls on the basketball made me as a joke my senior year of college ball. I had forgotten all about this.











This would be one of my favorite things in the world right here: polish coffee cake. SO SO SO GOOD! I have been bugging grandma Sobkoviak for years to give me the recipe and she finally caved and taught me this morning how to make it. This recipe has been handed down in our family. I can't even begin to tell you how very good it is. It was a lot easier then I expected. I have never had it fresh from the oven and I would have to say, you will never taste anything like
 it.

This is my grandmother cutting into one fresh out of the oven. Grandpa and I were just hovering over them waiting to dig in. Haha. We were like two little kids waiting for a treat.







Something I wanted to talk about is the life I have chosen. I would first like to establish and I quote a friend here that "living a life of simplicity is still not as good as living a life for Christ." I completely agree with that statement. I also do feel I should be a good steward of this earth and what I have. I believe in treating this earth with respect. It has really been tearing me up being at home and living in this little corn and soybean county where everything processed is good and you get made fun of for not wanting to eat microwave popcorn or McDonald's. For me, it is almost similar to having the knowledge of Christ. I know not only the health dangers of the lifestyle America has grown accustomed to, but also how incredibly corrupt it all is. The food is enough to make you sick, but the greed and corruption of the powers behind it are even sicker. I try never to make anyone feel bad about their decisions, because it's not my place. I quietly make my own decisions and don't draw attention to myself. It is hard some times though, because when you're a guest in some one's home and they hand you a plate with meat on it that you don't know where it's from or they ask you if you want coffee and you ask where it's from, then it becomes bit of an awkward moment. Being here, this usually is followed by some witty comment like, "Oh no... guess we are all getting cancer if we eat this!" Really people? I didn't even say anything! There is a lot more I would like to say but I won't. For some of you, this is no big deal and for others, you know exactly what I'm feeling. The surprising part to me is that 100% of comments made to me comes from people in the body of Christ. What's wrong with this way of life that people feel the need to make fun of it, those who worship the almighty Creator but then don't appreciate the gift of this creation? Mind boggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment