Things you will need:
Washing Soda
Borox
Fels-Naptha Bar Soap
2 5gallon buckets (with lids if you will store your soap in them)
Step 1: Grate the bar of soap into a stainless steel pot. The video says to just add one cup of water but I ended up using 3 cups of water.
Step2 : Melt down the soap. This will take any where from 10-20 minutes. I couldn't get it melted ALL the way. I still had a few gooey pieces when I was done melting it.
Step 3: Fill up one of the buckets half way with hot water. You can just use tap water, no special water needed. Pour your melted soap into the bucket. Add 1/2 cup of washing soda and 1 cup Borox. Stir til it is all dissolved. Fill the rest of the bucket up with hot water. Cover and let sit for 24 hours.
Step 4: 24 hours later, your mixture will be gelled up. You will need to stir it up and break apart the globs as much as you can. Separate the mixture evenly between to 5 gallon buckets. Fill both buckets with hot water and stir.
Step 5: Storing your soap. You can recycle any type of bottles. Old laundry soap bottles, milk jugs, water jugs, tea containers, soda liters, etc or just keep it in the buckets if you have lids on them.
10 gallons should be about 160 loads. Use 1 cup per load. We added a little extra washing soda to our soap, if you want to do that, feel free. You can use this soap as a pretreater as well. As far as the smell... it smells amazing!
This is the video from the urban farmin' guys website that they posted.
Now go make soap and save money!!!



This stuff aint gonna explode is it! LOL! I got my ingredients and Im off and running! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteThis looks awesome Beck, I am totally trying this in the future, thanks for sharing! love it!
ReplyDelete